Install an Additional Domain Controller from IFM (Install From Media)
We can use the Install from media (IFM) option to install an Additional Domain Controller in an existing domain is the best option such as a branch office scenario. In Nepal, outside Kathmandu valley, network bandwidth cost is very expensive. Even for 128 Kbps Intranet network link, we have to pay Rs. 20,000/- +VAT. So IFM option is the best for deployment Additional Domain Controller at the branch office which will minimize replication traffic during the Installation. For this Installation process, we have to follow two things:
1. Create Installation media using Ntdsutil.exe
2. During dcpromo installation process select the Use Advanced Mode Installation check box before you click Next.
To Create Installation Media Using Ntdsutil, follow these steps:
1. On the Primary Domain Controller, click Start and then click Run, type cmd and click Ok.
2. On the Command Prompt, type activate instance ntds and press Enter.
3. At the ntdsutil prompt, type ifm and then press Enter.
4. At the ifm prompt, type create sysvol full e:\ifm and then press Enter.
Note: Verify folder named IFM on this drive.
5. Type, quit, quit.
6. Now copy the entire contents from the IFM folder to removable drive because we are going to install Additional Domain Controller at a remote branch office where network bandwidth is limited.
Create Additional Domain Controller Using IFM Data:
1. Log on to server KTM-DC02-2K8 with the Domain administrator account.
Note: Here KTM-DC02-2K8 is member server in the domain.
2. Copy the entire contents from the IFM folder on removable drive to the E:\IFM folder on KTM-DC02-2K8 Server. Verify that all items have been copied.
3. Click Start and then click Run. In the Run dialog box type dcpromo and then click OK.
4. The dcpromo command will automatically install the relevant files on the computer prior to beginning the domain controller promotion process. This dialog box will start checking if Active Directory Domain Services binaries are installed then will start installing them
5. On the Welcome To The Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, select the Use Advanced Mode Installation check box and click Next.
6. On the Operating System Compatibility page, click Next.
7. On the Choose a Deployment Configuration page, select Existing Forest and then select Add A Domain Controller To An Existing Domain, and then click Next.
8. On the Network Credentials page, click Next .
9. On the Select a Domain page, Select a domain for this additional domain controller page, and then click Next .
10. On the Select A Site page, select the site in which you want to locate the domain controller and then click Next.
11. On the Additional Domain Controller Options page, select additional installation options for the domain controller and then click Next.
12. On the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, you can ignore this warning and click Yes to continue.
13. On the Install from Media page, click Replicate Data From Media At The Following Location, type E:\IFM or click Browse to locate the IFM folder on the E drive, and click Next.
14. On the Source Domain Controller page, accept the defaults and click Next.
15. On the Location for Database, Log Files, and SYSVOL page, accept the default settings and then click Next.
16. On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, type and confirm the password, which can be different from the domain Administrator account password and click Next.
17. On the Summary page, review the selections and then click Next to begin the installation.
18. On the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, click Finish.
19. You are then prompted to restart the computer, click Restart Now to reboot.
20. After Restart the server verify an Additional Domain Controller Installation.
Now our new Additional Domain Controller has been created from IFM. This will mimimize replication traffic during the Installation. This is the best option for a branch office scenario where network bandwidth is limited.
virtual dedicated server, computer servers, windows server 2003, server windows, dedicated server, low cost dedicated server, servers, dedicated hosting solutions, windows 2003 server, dedicated hosting server, windows dedicated server, linux server, dedicated windows server, canada dedicated server, server, amd server, blade server, small business server, cheap dedicated server, custom servers
- Configuring an Availability Set with the Azure Load Balancer - February 9, 2019
- Creating and Connecting Linux Ubuntu VM in Azure - December 29, 2018
- My Precious IT Books Collections - March 1, 2018
- Configuring Azure Traffic Manager using Performance Based Routing Method - January 20, 2018
- Configuring a Point-to-Site Connection to a VNet using Azure Portal - November 28, 2017
- Configuring a VNet-to-VNet VPN Gateway Connection Using the Azure Portal - October 27, 2017
- Configuring Azure VNet Peering by using the Azure Portal - October 19, 2017
- Using the Azure Portal to Create Virtual Networks, Add Subnets and Setting up a DNS Server Address - October 17, 2017
- Extend Azure Virtual Machine OS drive using Azure Portal - June 30, 2017
- Creating a Windows Virtual Machine and Availability Set at the same time using the Azure Portal - June 11, 2017