Resetting the Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM) Password in Windows Server 2012 R2
Directory Services Mode (DSRM) password is created during the domain controller promotion process. During Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard, you were asked to provide a password for the DSRM administrator. This administrator account (Administrator) is separate from the domain administrator account. This account is used once you boot in DSRM.
If the DSRM password is forgotten, you can reset it by performing the following:
1. Log on to the domain controller with an account that is a member of the Domain Admins group.
2. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and type ntdsutil and then press Enter.
3. At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type set dsrm password and press Enter.
4. At the Reset DSRM Administrator Password prompt, type reset password on server null (If resetting the DSRM password on local DC) and then press Enter. If resetting the DSRM password for another DC, type reset password on server servernamewhere servernameis the FQDN of the server for which you are resetting the password.
5. At the Please type password for DS Restore Mode Administrator Account, type the new password and press Enter.
6. You will now be prompted to confirm new password; type the same password and press Enter.
7. After you have done this correctly, ntdsutil will confirm that the password has been reset.
8. At the Reset DSRM Administrator Password prompt, type quit and press Enter.
9. At the ntdsutil prompt, type quit and press Enter.
10. Finally, you have now reset the DSRM Administrator’s password, which you can see in figure.
I hope this article helps during resetting the DSRM Administrator password in Windows Servers ( 2003/2008/2012).
- Extend Azure Virtual Machine OS drive using Azure Portal - June 30, 2017
- Creating a Windows Virtual Machine and Availability Set at the same time using the Azure Portal - June 11, 2017
- Remove a Node from a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Cluster and Destroy a Cluster Procedure - May 14, 2017
- Best Practices on Setting up Hyper-V Cluster Networks in Windows Server 2016 - May 10, 2017
- Implementing Failover Clustering with Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V - May 6, 2017
- Configuring iSCSI Storage and Initiator in Windows Server 2016 - April 20, 2017
- Upgrading the VM configuration version in Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V - April 5, 2017
- VM Load Balancing in Windows Server 2016 - March 31, 2017
- Cluster OS Rolling Upgrades in Windows Server 2016 - March 29, 2017
- Installing Active Directory Domain Controller on Windows Server 2016 - March 18, 2017