Resetting Administrator Password in Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller
Resetting local administrator and Domain Administrator password is one of the important tasks of System Administrator. As a job role of Windows System Administrator we should have to know how to reset Domain Administrator password and local administrator password. In some situation we require these steps. In this article we will reset Administrator Password in Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller using following steps:
1. Insert the Windows Server 2016 DVD and restart the server and Press F12 to boot from DVD. Press Enter which monitor display “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”
2. On the Windows Setup page, click Next.
3. On the Windows Setup page, select “Repair your computer”.
4. On the Choose an Option page, click “Troubleshoot” option.
5. On the Advanced options page, select “Command Prompt”
6. On the Administrator Command Prompt, type the following commands as shown in figure.
7. On the Administrator Command Prompt window, close the “Command Prompt”
8. On the Choose an option page, click on “Continue”.
9. Now Server restarting and then Press Windows Key + U to open Administrator command prompt at the logon screen. And type the following commands to change the password.
net user administrator P@ssw0rd
Then close the command prompt.
10. Now, you can log on with the recently changed password.
Once you have successfully log on the domain controller, you have to repeat the following cleanup steps.
11. Restart the server and Press F12 to boot from Windows Server 2016 DVD. On the Windows Setup page, click Next.
12. On the Windows Setup page, click on “Repair your computer”.
13. On the Choose an option dialog box, select “Troubleshoot”.
14. On the Advanced options dialog box, select “Command Prompt”.
15. On the Administrator Command Prompt, type the following commands, and close the command prompt windows.
16. On the Choose an option dialog box, select “Continue”.
17. On the login dialog box, type the username and password, then press Enter.
Resetting Domain Administrator and local Administrator password is the important tasks of System Administrator. In some scenario this will help to save our jobs. We should know this. I hope this will help.
linux server, virtual dedicated server, computer servers, windows server 2003, server windows, dedicated server, low cost dedicated server, servers, dedicated hosting solutions, windows 2003 server, dedicated hosting server, windows dedicated server, dedicated windows server, canada dedicated server, server, amd server, blade server, small business server, cheap dedicated server, custom servers Growtraffic.com
Or use PCUnlocker or Offline NT Registry Editor.
This worked!! I’m surprised. Thanks.
learned a lot from you. Keep going the post please.
I did lost my all but finally this blog help me and i get it reset administrator & domain controller password.
Again say thanks
Thanks – just saved me embarrassment.
I lost Server 2016 password and did the step till server restart . after restarting server when we press Windows Key + U to open Administrator command prompt at the logon screen , its show administrator :backdoor and this ask me user name and password for user. how to skip this and open CMS for set password (net user administrator command )
Thanks 😊 password reset
wow, didnt know this could be done. Ssaved my lab from being rebuilt. Thanks
This worked. Saved me a great deal of stress and embarrassment.
Thanks a lot.
This doesn’t work. In my version of Windows Server 2016 there is no “Continue” “Exit and continue to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4” option.
Hi MS Server Pro,
Thank you very much for your excelant guide.
Keep going !
Can’t believe that this works. I can hack a domain server using a standard Server 2016 DVD and a few commands.
my server is lenovo St550 raid and i am lost my windows password this steps not working please help us.
good job thank you
You saved me many hours for reinstallation Windows and many services!
WinServer2016 on VM – all fine
Is there a similar process for Windows Server Core, 2016? I dont think WIndows Server core utilizes WIN+U key functionality.
Trying to avoid a purchase (PCUnlocker is not free in my understanding).
I’ll check some other avenues as well.
Windows now deletes unauthorized utilman.exe on boot. This no longer works.
Great tuto !!
Thank you Sir !!
Unfortunately, it does not work this way, after finished all steps and press on (windows + U), does not appears the administrator command prompts window
Unfortunately, it does not work this way, after finished all steps and press on (windows + U), does not appears the administrator command prompts window, by the way the windows server I have is 2016 standard 64 bit
Thanks for Excellent Write up.