Installing a New Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller in a New Windows Server 2008 R2
In this article, we will Install and Configure Active Directory Domain Services on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a new Windows Server 2008 R2 domain in a new Windows Server 2008 forest.
1. On the Before You Begin screen, make sure that the TCP/IP and DNS Server addresses should be configured because this is the First Domain Controller and DNS Server and the installation process will install the DNS service automatically and update the primary DNS entry for you. Be sure to specify a fixed IP address for the server.
2. Open Server Manager and click Add Roles to start the Add Roles Wizard and Click Next.
3. On the Select Server Roles page, select Active Directory Domain Services and click Next
4. On the Active Directory Domain Services page, Click Next
5. On the Confirm Installation Selections page, click Install. This will begin to install the AD DS components but will not promote it to a domain controller yet.
6. On the Installation Results page, Click Close this wizard and launch the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (dcpromo.exe)
7. On the Welcome to the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard, click Next
8. On the Operating System Compatibility page, Click Next
9. On the Choose A Deployment Configuration page, select the Create A New Domain In A New Forest option and then Click Next
10. On the Name the Forest Root Domain page, type the name msserverpro.com and Click Next.
11.On the Set Forest Functional Level page, select Windows Server 2008R2 Domain Functional level in place and then click Next
12. On the Additional Domain Controller Options page, Click Next
13. When presented with the delegation warning, click Yes
- On the Location For Database, Log Files, And SYSVOL page, leave the default settings and then click Next
14. On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, enter the password you want to use as the restore mode password. This password is different from the password used for the domain administrator account. You should make sure you store this password in a safe place in case you forget it, since you will need it later if you have to recover your directory. Click Next
15. On the Summary page, review the selections and then click Next Active Directory will now be configured on the computer.
16. On the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, Click Finish and then Restart Now to complete the installation.
17. After Restart the server verify an Active Directory Installation:
- Use Active Directory Users and Computers to verify that the new Active Directory Domain has been created, and that the computer on which you installed Active Directory is listed as a Domain Controllersfor that domain.
- TIP:If the Active Directory domain you created isn’t listed in this dialog box, your Active Directory Installation was not successful. You’ll probably have to reinstall Active Directory
- Open DNS Manager to verify that four folders should be displayed: _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp.
- Open the Command prompt, type net share and Press Enter. Verify NETLOGON and SYSVOLfolder.
- Open DNS Manager to Configure Reverse Lookup Zones at first time and Open the Command prompt, type nslookupto verify the DNS Configuration.
- Before configure Reverse Lookup Zones:
- After Configure Reverse Lookup Zones:
In this article, I showed you the fresh install of Windows Server 2008 R2 DC, which is typically be performed only if Active Directory never existed on the network or if you are creating a whole new Active Directory Infrastructure such as in a test lab environment.
wow great Naresh
Thanks for contribution.
this artical touch surfacely, plz describe deeply.
Pingback: Stefen Havana
Just brilliant, i was looking for it from long time before.